This is exactly the kind of food I hesitate about posting here. Let’s face it, it’s hardly cooking, yet I know I’ve made it at least a handful of times and been 100% happy. This is a shout-out to the beginners out there (make this, Trish!) who want a beefy, cheesy, low-fat, 15-minute meal. Holler.
Individual Steak Pita Pizzas
serves 2 / 9 ww pts+
Here’s what I used:
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb ground sirloin
- 4 oz (1 cup, roughly) shredded low-fat mozza cheese
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce (no sugar added)
- 4 whole wheat pitas (I used Thomas’ Sahara brand)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- S&P and a pinch red pepper flakes
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat oven to 400. Heat 1 tsp oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground sirloin and break up to brown. When it starts to brown, add onion (don’t salt yet because the salt will draw out liquids and hinder the browning of the meat) and saute for 5 minutes or so. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and reduce the heat to low for about 5 minutes. Season with S, P, and red pepper flakes (flakes optional).
- Divide sirloin mixture in 2 and top each pita. Cover with equal amount of cheese and bake on a baking sheet for 5-8 minutes until gooey