I heart my CSA. I LOVE getting fresh summer veg each week, straight from the farm. I was having the girls over for dinner and drinks (and bachelorette finale…don’t judge), and thought this would make a great vegetarian meal. I was not wrong (unlike Ali, whose bachelorette choice was questionable).
Balsamic Grilled Vegetables and Basil Quinoa Salad
Serves 4 with leftovers
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Veggie Belly
Here’s what I used:
For the veg:
- 2 medium/large zucchini, cut into big cubes
- 2 small/medium eggplant, cut into big cubes
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves, grated
- salt, pepper
For the quinoa salad:
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- salt, pepper
Here’s what I did:
- Whisk the oil and vinegar together for the dressing and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water up to a boil for the quinoa. Add the quinoa, and a pinch of salt, and bring back up to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the water has absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Put the cut veggies in a large bowl and pour half of the dressing over them, tossing well. Season well with salt and pepper and preheat grill (I used my stove-top grill pan).
- Spray or wipe the grill with olive oil and grill the veggies until grill marks form and they are tender but not mushy.
- When the quinoa is cooked, toss with the second half of the balsamic dressing. Stir in the salt, pepper, pine nuts and basil.