Baked eggs and za’atar-spiced spinach
Just the Tip / Inspired by Five and Spice
Here’s what I used:
- 1 (10-oz) package of spinach, stems removed
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp za’atar (a Middle Eastern spice blend. I found this at my local specialty spice shop, but you can make it yourself, too)
- a few grates of fresh nutmeg
- 4 organic eggs
- salt and pepper
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Heat the butter in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the shallot, season with a pinch of salt, and cook for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Roughly chop the spinach and add to the pan.
Don’t worry, with a little tossing around with tongs, it will quickly go from this:
- Sprinkle with the za’atar, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Carefully crack the eggs on top of the spinach and season the eggs with salt and pepper and pop the pan into the oven.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, until the whites are firm.
- Serve immediately.