Update: I made this again because it was so yummy and I wilted in a couple of big handfuls of baby spinach. Even tastier!
Now this is one we will be eating probably once a week from here on out. It’s so easy, made with ingredients we almost always have on hand, and is totally delicious. We used a spinach, fontina, and roasted garlic chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s (so good), but any ol’ pre-cooked sausage would probably be great too. Next time I might mix in some baby spinach at the end for extra veg factor.
Chicken Sausage with White Beans, Roasted Tomatoes, and Spinach
Inspired by Feast on the Cheap
Here’s what I used:
- 12-oz chicken sausages (about 4 links), sliced about 1/2″ thick on a slight diagonal
- 2 cans of cannellini beans (I like Progresso brand), drained and rinsed
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, sliced into 6 wedges each
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or a couple of fresh sprigs)
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 4 tbsp of olive oil, divided
- splash of vermouth (or any white wine)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil and garlic together. Add the tomatoes, season with a fat pinch of salt, some pepper, the thyme, and toss together. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast for 45-50 minutes with the tomatoes skin-side down.
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage on all sides (a few minutes on each side until deeply golden). Pour in a splash of wine, then add the beans and spinach. Toss around until wilted, then add in the roasted tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until the beans are warmed through, about 3-4 more minutes. Plate and serve and finish with a little drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.