I’m trying to avoid carbohydrates for a while, and have been curious about some of the faux-cauliflower recipes out there. This faux-rice is kind of awesome! I mean, if someone fed you this blindfolded, you wouldn’t necessarily know it was rice, but it sure looks like it! And you can flavor it however you like. To go with my stuffed peppers tonight I wanted a mexican/spanish flavor, so I went with some onions, peppers, salsa, tomatoes, and taco seasoning. I will definitely be using this method again…probably this weekend to go along with beef and broccoli for the kids! Let’s see if the kids will buy it…that will be the true test.
Just the Tip / Inspired A Veggie Venture
What I used:
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 8 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- cilantro for garnish
What I did:
- Into a medium bowl, grate the cauliflower florets using a microplane or a box grater. Once grated, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and cook in he microwave for 7-8 minutes. Fluff with a fork, season with salt, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions and peppers for a few minutes and then add the garlic and saute a couple of minutes more. Season with salt, add the tomatoes, salsa, black beans and saute for a minute or two. Add the cauliflower and taco seasoning and saute until all of the liquid has released. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle on the cilantro and serve.