I’ve been wanting to try cassoulet since that chick lisa garza impressed all the next food network star judges with her dish. Her recipe is a bit fussy – not surprisingly – so i went with ol’ faithful and strangely sexy Michael Chiarello’s instead. Hearty & comforting with a really interesting and unique flavor. The best part is definitely the veggies. Next time I’ll make with fresh beans instead of canned, but in a pinch, canned worked a-ok.
Bean Cassoulet with Fennel-Spiced Chicken and Roasted Veggies
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Michael Chiarello
Here’s what I used:
- 6 medium Brussel sprouts
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 2-3 tablespoons fennel spice rub, recipe below
- 2 pounds of cut-up chicken pieces, bone in and skin on
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 slices center cut bacon, chopped into lardons
- 2 19-oz cans of cannelini beans and their canning liquid
Here’s what I did:
- First, you gotta make the spice rub. Since this consisted of some of my favorite spices (which I bought in bulk at Christina’s Specialty Spice store/Heaven), I decided to make more of this blend than I needed to be used for future recipes.
- Fennel Spice Rub: 1 cup fennel seeds; 3 tbsp coriander seeds; 2 tbsp white peppercorns; 3 tbsp kosher salt.
- Put the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a heavy pan over medium heat. Watch carefully, tossing frequently so the seeds toast evenly.
- When light brown and fragrant, pour the seeds onto a plate to cool. They must be cool before grinding, or they will gum up the blades.
Pour the seeds into a blender and add the salt. Blend to a fine powder, shaking the blender occasionally to redistribute the seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the tough outer leaves and stems from brussel sprouts and halve lengthwise. Cook in boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Peel the onion, cut through the stem into wedges.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the onions.
- While the onions are cooking, halve the carrots and celery lengthwise, then in bite-size wedges and add to the onions.
- Add the cooked Brussels sprouts to the dish. Season with salt, to taste. Cook until all the vegetables are well browned, about 10 minutes, turning as needed.
- Remove the vegetables to a bowl and season with 2 tbsp of fennel spice rub to coat.
- Dry chicken pieces with a paper towel and season with 1-2 tbsp of fennel spice rub. When the oil is very hot, add chicken pieces skin side down, in batches if necessary. Cook until the chicken is dark brown on all sides, about 12-15 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Tilt the pan and pour off all but 2 tbsp of fat. Reduce heat to medium, add smashed garlic and bacon, and cook until golden, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beans and their liquid and bring to a simmer.
- Add the reserved vegetables and the chicken, skin side up. Roast in the oven, uncovered, until the chicken is fully cooked and the surface is nicely browned, 25-30 minutes.
- Let rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving warm.