This was pretty darn yummy. If you’ve got a few hours to kill in the kitchen before dinner, I’d say give this a shot. I’d try covering the ribs with foil as they roast — i think mine got unnecessarily tough on the outside because they weren’t covered.
Stroganoff with Beef Short Ribs
serves 2 / adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped, plus 2 cloves, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed
- 1 large sprig fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 2 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 2 ribs apiece
- 12 oz cremini mushrooms
- 12 oz white button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2-3 tbsp cognac
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 1-2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp cup light sour cream
- 1/2 pound egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoons freshly chopped green onions
Here’s what I did:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Put chopped garlic, handful of S&P, rosemary and thyme into a bowl. Add a few tbsps of olive oil to make a paste. Schmear onto short ribs. Place ribs in roasting pan, cover with foil, and roast for 3 hours.
Heat a large saute pan over high heat and 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until brown. Add shallots, garlic, and S&P. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
Remove pan from heat and carefully add cognac to deglaze the pan. Return to heat and do a fun flambe if you have the skills. Add cream. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half. Turn off heat and stir in Dijon mustard and sour cream. Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper
Cook egg noodles in salted boiling water according to directions on package. Drain and toss with butter while still hot.