After a fun fall day of apple picking and farm animal watching, chili was the perfect thing. I usually make this with about a half pound of ground turkey, but it’s so easily omitted and I honestly didn’t notice the difference. Veggies win again.
Fiery Vegetarian Chili
serves 6-8 / 5 ww points
Here’s what I used:
- 2 small-medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium celery stalk, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium-large zucchini, chopped into fat half moons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced***(I actually forgot the garlic! BIG sin)
- 1 1/2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed & minced (use less of this, or omit completely, to make it less spicy)
- 1 28-oz can black beans, partially drained
- 1 15-oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 oz dark chocolate
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 packets original McCormick chili seasoning (i cheated, so what)
- chipotle chili powder
- Olive oil
- RF shredded cheese & RF sour cream for serving
Here’s what I did:
- Chop up all the vegetables. Heat a couple of tsps oil in a large dutch oven or sauce pan.
- Cook onions, jalapenos, peppers, carrots, celery, and zucchini for 5-10 minutes until tender. Season with S&P while cooking.
- Add packets of chili seasoning, cinnamon sticks, beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Taste for seasoning. Add salt, cumin and chili powder if you like.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Melt in chocolate and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Eat it.