Cheesy Baked Rice
serves 4 / adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- 24 shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail removed
- 1 bag steam fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups cooked white rice (Carolina brand)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- Citrus salt blend (mine had lemon & orange zest, fennel seed, and sea salt), optional
- 1 cup fontina cheese, shredded (cheddar would be good, too)
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil. Add 1 cup rice, bring back to a boil, and drop down to the lowest heat setting possible. Cover and cook for approx 18 minutes.
- Steam broccoli in micro according to package directions. Reserve in separate bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan. Season shrimp with S&P and cook shrimp 1 minute per side until partially cooked. Remove and reserve with broccoli. Season broccoli and shrimp with citrus salt to taste.
- When rice is done, melt butter in same saute pan. Saute shallots and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add cooked rice and toss to coat in butter. Add broccoli and shrimp and taste for seasoning.
- Transfer everything to baking dish(es). Cover with equal parts fontina cheese and bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Eat it.