This is a classic italian dish and a perfect use-up for leftover mashed potatoes, which I HATE seeing go to waste. I always make this after Thanksgiving when there always leftover mashed potatoes as well as leftover gravy for the pasta course we gluttonous Italians always serve.
Eggs in Purgatory
serves 2 / adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
Here’s what I used:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup leftover cold mashed potatoes
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp flour
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, warmed (store-bought or leftover homemade)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Here’s what I did:
- Combine 1 egg with potatoes and flour. Make 2 pancakes, about 1/2 cup each.
- Heat a couple of tsps of oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Cook pancakes until they are golden brown and heated through, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Bring the heat down to medium-low and gently cook the 2 remaining eggs about 2 minutes on the first side and 30 seconds on the second. Season with S&P.
- Spoon the sauce onto 2 dishes. Place 1 pancake on top of the sauce, and top each pancake with a fried egg. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve.