My first chicken meatball experience. I have to say, it tasted exactly like the beef/veal/pork meatballs my family makes, but a LOT healthier. These would also be really cute in mini size as a party appetizer with a little marinara or BBQ for dipping. Will be making these again for sure — ooh, chicken meatball subs coming at ya!
Chicken Florentine Meatballs
serves 3 / adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk, or less — whatever is needed for barely moistening the breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp tomato paste, divided
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with tin foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, and milk to moisten.
- Into a medium bowl, combine chicken, spinach, 2 tbsp tomato paste, egg, parsley, nutmeg, S&P. Grate the onion and garlic into the bowl; add the breadcrumb mixture and mix to combine.
- Section the meatball mix into quarters in the bowl. Make 3 large meatballs out of each quarter and put on the baking sheet.
In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp tomato paste. Brush onto the meatballs and bake for 20 minutes. Stick your face in them.