Chicken with BLT Gravy
serves 2 / adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices center cut bacon, chopped
- 1 leek
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 small plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Crusty bread, to pass at table
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a few tsp of olive oil in an oven-safe (I used my new cast iron – thanks santa!) skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with S&P and add to skillet. Brown deeply on each side, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Once browned, transfer pan to the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches 155-160 degrees. I served this with roasted asparagus (seasoned with olive oil, S&P), so I also added this to the oven at the same time.
- Meanwhile, add bacon and another tsp or two of olive oil to a second skillet. While bacon cooks, halve trimmed leeks lengthwise then slice 1/2 inch thick and vigorously wash in a colander then dry on kitchen towel. Add leeks to bacon and saute to soften 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the leeks 1 minute. Stir in stock and tomatoes and reduce heat to a simmer.
- When chicken is done remove to platter and deglaze the pan drippings with wine, scraping up the bits and color 30 seconds, pour drippings into the gravy pan, stir to combine.
- Finish gravy with cream, stir to combine and when sauce comes back up to a bubble, turn off heat and stir in Dijon mustard.
- Spoon BLT gravy over chicken and serve with crusty bread torn into pieces for mopping. Stick your face in it!