Crab and Corn Chowder in a Bread Bowl
serves 2-3 for lunch / adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- a few tsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk (lactaid)
- 1 cup FF half and half
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 6 ounces cooked lump crab meat
- small bread boules boules, hollowed out and toasted
- sliced chives (or scallions) for garnish
Here’s what I did:
- Heat a deep pot over moderate heat. Add oil and butter. Add chopped potato, celery, onion, red bell pepper, and bay leaf to the pot. Season vegetables with salt, pepper, and Old Bay.
- Saute veggies 5 minutes, then sprinkle in flour. Cook flour 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth, milk, and half and half and stir to combine. Bring soup up to a bubble and add corn and crab meat and simmer soup 5 minutes.
- Season with S&P as needed. Remove bay leaf and ladle soup into bread bowls and top with sliced chives. Stick your face in it!