Mustard Green Goodness
adapted from this recipe
This is great as a healthy side dish or on top of a sausage on a bun like I did here. I heart mustard!
Here’s what I used:
- 1 bunch (about a pound) mustard greens, washed
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard aka elixir of life, plus more for garnishing
- 1/4 cup of FF half and half (I might use chicken broth next time…cream didn’t seem to add much)
- 1 large shallot, minced (a few tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- chicken sausage (I used roasted pepper and asiago flavor – really delicious!)
- fiber one hot dog buns
Here’s what I did:
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Pull the leafy part of the greens away from the stems. Throw away the stems. Roughly chop up the greens. Cook in boiling water for about 6-7 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat up the butter in a large saute pan. Over medium heat, add the shallots and a little salt and cook for about 5 minutes. Add drained greens and toss around in the butter and shallots.
- Whisk half and half (or broth) with dijon mustard in a small bowl and then add to the greens. Let reduce for about 5 minutes and serve on top of sausage. All I did to the sausage was lightly brown it in a teensy bit of olive oil.
- Garnish the whole darn thing with more dijon and stick your face in it!