I’ve made this twice now, once for dinner, once for breakfast. It is AMAZING. Seriously, if I had a restaurant, this would surely be on the menu. Eat this.
Baked Eggs with Chorizo
serves 2 / adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 links chorizo (Wellshire Farms from WF), about 4 oz
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 4 organic eggs
- 1/4 cup manchego cheese, shredded
- sliced scallion or chives for garnish – use whatever you have or nothing at all
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, season with S&P, and cook gently for about 8 minutes. Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, remove as much casing as possible from the chorizo and dice it up. Add chorizo and paprika and saute with the garlic and onion for a couple minutes.
- Add tomatoes, season with S&P, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Spray individual 6-inch baking dishes (I used these, which I love) with cooking spray. The first time I made this, I didn’t have little dishes so I just cracked the eggs right on top of the tomato sauce and popped the whole thing in the oven.
- If using little dishes, fill them about half way with the tomato sauce. Crack the eggs one by one in a small bowl. Gently slide 2 eggs into each baking dish from the small bowl (this will hopefully prevent the yolks from breaking when you crack the egg). Season eggs with S&P and sprinkle with a little cheese.
- Place the baking dishes on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes or until the egg whites are set. Serve with buttered toast and stick your face in it!