Broccoli Rabe and Turkey Sausage Pizzas
serves 4 / adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- 4 links turkey sausage (hot or sweet)
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped (stems discarded)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup FF ricotta
- few sprigs-worth of fresh thyme
- 1 large ciabatta bread (mine was wheat)
- 8 slices provolone cheese (I used light)
- whole nutmeg, few grates
- olive oil
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 400. Put a large pot of water on to boil for the rabe.
- Heat a couple teaspoons of oil in a large saute pan. Squish the turkey sausage from its casing and break up into small pieces in the pan. Season with S, P, and red pepper flakes and cook through, turning often to brown evenly. Remove from pan and save for later.
- When the water comes to a boil, salt it and add chopped rabe. Cook for about 3 minutes and then drain. Rinse with cold water and dry off.
- At this stage, slice the bread in half lengthwise and then in half again to make 4 bread pizzas. Throw into the oven for about 10 minutes to toast. Don’t burn it!
- Heat another teaspoon or two of olive oil in the pan. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and the garlic and saute over medium-low heat until the garlic is fragrant – about 3 minutes. Add broccoli rabe, season with S, P, and a few grates of nutmeg, and saute together for about 5 more minutes.
- Schmear the ricotta evenly on all 4 pieces of bread. Sprinkle the thyme over the ricotta and then add a layer of sausage, then rabe, then provolone cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Stick your face in it.