My BF and I were craving sloppy joes but wanted a healthy version. These have a lot of flavor, are definitely sloppy, and it’s just fun food. I served it with a green salad and carrots with ginger lime butter.
Tex-Mex Chipotle Sloppy Joes (Cooking Light style)
serves 4 / 8 ww pts / adapted from cooking light
Here’s what I used:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1-2 seeded jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (go for a thinner salsa…skip the “chunky-style” for this one)
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 tbsp reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 whole wheat/grain hamburger buns
Here’s what I did:
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno and saute 4 minutes or so.
- Add sugar, cumin, chile powders, coriander, turkey, black pepper and salt. Break the turkey into small pieces with a wooden spoon and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Stir in salsa and cook for 4 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Stir in cilantro. Serve on a roll with the cheddar cheese on top. Eat it!