Dijon Chicken Club Sandwiches
serves 2 / adapted from homemade by holman
Here’s what I used:
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T honey
- 1T lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the sandwich:
- 2 6-oz chicken breasts
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 2 pieces of cooked, marinated chicken
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp light butter or margarine
Here’s what I did:
- Combine mustard, vinegar, lemon juice and honey in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add spices and whisk again.
- Add the chicken to the marinade, turn it around in it until it’s well coated, and let soak in the fridge for an hour (45 minutes in the fridge, the last 15 minutes on the counter).
- Cook the bacon on a grill pan until crispy on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Drain all but a couple of tsp of bacon fat from the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken 5-6 minutes on both sides until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil for about 10 minutes to allow juices to redistribute.
- Rinse off the pan, dry it, and heat over medium heat.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Spread one side of each piece of bread with the butter. Spread the dijon on the opposite side of 2 of the slices. On the dijon side, add the sliced chicken, bacon and mozzarella and top with another piece of bread, butter side out.
- Cook the sandwich over medium heat, butter side out, for a few minutes on each side. Weigh the sandwich down with a bowl or a frying pan for maximum crispiness. Eat it.