I had to psych myself up a little to make these, as I thought they’d be a little tricky. It was much easier to work with the rice paper than I thought it would be…can’t wait to try other spring roll recipes now! BTW, these were fantastic.
serves 4 as appetizer, 2 as meal / adapted from rachael ray everyday magazine
Here’s what I used:
- 12 medium shrimp (about 1/4 pound), peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces rice noodles (rice spaghetti — find it in the health foods section)
- 4 7-inch rice paper wrappers
- 12 mint leaves
- shredded carrots
- thinly sliced scallions
- 1 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Asian Style Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and cook on the grill, turning once, until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Let cool, then halve lengthwise.
- In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rice noodles until tender, about 3 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Fill a pie plate with hot water. Working with 1 rice paper wrapper at a time, soak a wrapper for 30 seconds and transfer to a work surface. Arrange a line of shrimp halves across the right third of the wrapper, top with 1/4 of the mint leaves, 1/4 of the noodles, about 1 tablespoon each carrot and scallions and 1/4 cup romaine.
- From the full side, roll over once, then fold in the sides, while continuing to roll the spring roll closed.
- Cut in half diagonally and serve with the peanut sauce.