I’m on week 3 of eating under the South Beach doctrine, and I have to say, I kind of love it. Lots of veggies, minimal sugar, no heavily processed foods. Thus far, I feel energized, never hungry, and I’m down close to ten big ones. While bread and pasta are hard to give up, especially for this Sicilian girl who grew up using bread as a utensil, one of my few remaining cravings has actually been pizza. Which I guess goes to show how often I was eating it before…not good. While I know my days of enjoying the deep fried pizza offerings of City Slickers down the street from my house (not really deep fried, but it tastes like it is. omg SO good!) are behind me for at least a little while, I figured I could try my hand at a healthier alternative.
This pizza uses a lavash bread by Joseph’s, a low sugar pizza sauce (harder to find than you might think! when you start looking at the labels, you’ll be surprised by the dichotomy in sugar content among popular jarred sauces…), and some veg. I love a good thin crust pizza, and this is exactly that. It’s almost like a crunchy cracker with yummy, melty toppings. I think I might do mushrooms or pepperoni next time. Both was a little confusing. Eat it.
Flatbread Pizza with Turkey Pepperoni and Mushrooms
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Kalyn’s Kitchen
Here’s what I used:
- 1 piece Joseph’s lavash or other flatbread
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp low sugar pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded italian white cheese blend, divided
- 12-15 pieces turkey pepperoni (italian turkey sausage, pre-cooked…mmmm)
- 4 oz sliced crimini mushrooms
- salt, pepper, olive oil spray
Here’s what I did:
- Put a pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 450. Let the pizza stone get nice and hot, about 15 minutes.
- While that’s happening, heat the olive oil in a nonstick saute pan and saute the mushrooms until they’re lightly browned.
- Lay the flatbread on the pizza stone and let toast in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- When the bottom is lightly browned, flip it over, and spread the sauce on the toasted side.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, then the mushrooms, then the pepperoni.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and season with S&P.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until the cheese has melted. Eat it and don’t feel the slightest bit guilty.