These are going to be a regular staple in my house. They are SO delicious, especially compared to frozen store-bought veggie/bean burgers, AND they’re made from all real food — no preservatives or scary ingredients. The spice combination is fantastic — almost has a warm cinnamon note to it. The best part of these burgers is that almost all the ingredients can be kept in your pantry for a quick meal.
Pecan and Kidney Bean Burgers
Serves 2-4, depending on appetite (makes 4 burgers) / 2 ww pts per burger
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Eating Well…Living Thin
Here’s what I used:
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp reduced-sugar ketchup
- 1/4-1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp indian curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 2% american cheese slices
- thinly sliced red onion
- thinly sliced tomatoes
Here’s what I did:
- Add the beans to a medium-sized bowl. With a potato masher, mash ’em up. Don’t annihilate them, just mash them enough so that you don’t see any whole, unscathed beans.
- Add in the pecans, onion, garlic, egg white, flour, parsley, ketchup, chili powder, curry powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill for 15 minutes (mine was chilling for an hour — ok to be flexible here).
- Spray a grill pan with some olive oil and heat over medium heat. Form the bean mixture into patties and brown for a few minutes. Once side 1 is browned, flip, and add the cheese to each patty.
- Once the cheese is melted and side 2 is browned, eat it.