Serves 2 with leftovers
Here’s what I used:
- 1 pound sirloin tips
- small can no salt added tomato sauce (you won’t use the whole can)
- italian seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- jar of bay leaves
- red onion, cut into chunks
Here’s what I did:
- Pound each piece of meat to 1/4 inch thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce over one side of all of the steak. Cut into 2×3″ (roughly) pieces and roll each end of the steak so they overlap slightly. You can seal with a toothpick if you like (make sure to soak them in some water for about 30 minutes first so they don’t burn on the gril), but they should stay together once you finally skewer them.
- Once they’re folded over, brush them generously with olive oil and then coat with the breadrumb. Once they’re all breaded, skewer them in this order: bay leaf, steak, bay leaf, onion, bay leaf, steak, bay leaf, onion, etc. Make sure there is bay leaf on both sides of the meat for flavor.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked to your liking. Make sure to discard the bay leaves before serving — they’re not edible.