Arugula and Ricotta Calzones
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Gourmet magazine
Here’s what I used:
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 6 oz whole-milk ricotta (2/3 cup)
- 3 oz shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb whole wheat pizza dough
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cook garlic in oil in heavy saute pan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add arugula and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander and press hard on arugula to squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible, then coarsely chop.
- Stir together ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, yolk, salt, and pepper until blended. Stir in arugula.
- Quarter the dough and roll out each piece into an 8-inch round. Put 1/4 of cheese mixture (about 1/3 cup) in center of 1 round and fold dough in half to enclose filling and form a half-circle. Press edges together to seal.
- Continue with the other three calzones andtransfer to baking sheet that’s been sprayed with olive oil.
- Bake calzones until golden and puffed, about 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before serving.