You stick it in cornbread, that’s what! What a good idea this was. The pork added a nice substantive meaty factor without being overwhelming. The bread itself was buttery, moist, and just a wee bit spicy.
*Sorry for the crappy pictures… I took this to a friend’s football party and left my camera behind 😦
Porky Blue Cornbread
Makes 1 loaf
Recipe by Just the Tip
Here’s what I used:
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup blue cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup leftover pulled pork
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Spray a 8×2 loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a food processor, add the melted butter, beaten egg, blue cornmeal, both flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; pulse to combine.
- Add the buttermilk and process for 5 seconds, or just until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into a bowl and stir in the pork. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until the center is firm.
- Transfer the bread to a rack to cool a bit, then turn out and let cool completely