Sweet Potato Biscuits
Makes 9 biscuits
Here’s what I used:
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes (1 medium boiled sweet potato, seasoned with S&P)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
Here’s what I did:
- Peel and dice the sweet potato. Add it to a pot of cold water and bring up to a boil. Boil until it is fork tender and mashable, about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your dice. Drain and mash and season to taste.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed sweet potato, oil, syrup, vinegar, and salt in large bowl. Sift in flour, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- Mix the ingredients with a fork until it comes together. Stir in 2 to 3 Tbs. water, or enough to get dough to hold together, if necessary (I did not need to do this).
- Drop golf ball–size rounds of dough onto prepared baking sheet (I used an ice-cream scoop).
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and firm to the touch. Serve warm.