Um, yeah. This was amazing. Perfect Sunday fall comfort food. And, if you buy an already cut-up chicken, it’s pretty easy to put together. Coupla tips: #1. Make sure to really brown the chicken. Don’t skimp on this step. If it’s not browned, it won’t taste good. Cooking Light suggests 2 minutes per side to brown it. It took me close to 10 minutes per side. That’s right, brown it. Another 35 minutes in the oven, and you’re good to go. The lovely thing about bone-in chicken is that it takes quite a bit to dry it out, which makes for a nice, moist piece of chicken. #2. Before putting it in the pan at all, pat all sides of the chicken with a paper towel. This ensures maximum brownness. Mmmm…this will be in my regular comfort food rotation for sure.
Tuscan Roasted Chicken with White Beans and Spinach
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Cooking Light
Here’s what I used:
- 3-4 pounds of cut-up chicken (2 bone in breasts, thighs, and legs) (wings discarded for another use)
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups packed torn spinach
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cans cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Trim any visible fat from the chicken (but leave the skin on). Dry with a paper towel, then season generously with kosher salt and pepper.
- While the chicken comes closer to room temp, heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle a couple of tsp of olive oil in the pan, and cook the bacon ’til crisp. Remove from the pan, chop, and reserve for later.
- Keeping the pan hot, add the chicken in skin-side down. Take your time to brown it on all sides. While that’s happening, prepare your veg and herbs.
- When the chicken is browned, remove to a plater for later. Add the white wine to the hot pan and scrape up the brown bits with a wooden spoon for about a minute. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and let cook for 5-6 minutes ’til softened.
- Stir in bacon, spinach, rosemary, beans, and tomatoes.
- Remove from heat, add the chicken back on top, and roast uncovered for about 35 minutes.