Although baking scares the bejesus out of me, I think I have mastered the fruit bread. This is my absolute favorite banana bread recipe, and if you cut it into 16 slices (but, really, who would do that?), it’s even inspired by a Cooking Light recipe. I, of course, slice it into about 8-10 fatty slices, slather it with a little smart balance, and dig in.
Lime-Glazed Coconut Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Cooking Light
Here’s what I used:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated splenda (or sugar)
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup 0% plain greek yogurt (or regular low-fat yogurt)
- 3 tbsp spiced rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted lightly
- 1 tbsp sweetened coconut flakes, untoasted
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend the splenda and butter using an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and blend well.
- Add the bananas, yogurt, rum, and vanilla, and blend well.
- Add the flour mixture and beat at low speed until just moist. Stir in the toasted coconut and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a 9×5 loaf pan, top with the untoasted coconut, and bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. While it’s cooling, whisk the powdered sugar and lime juice together and pour over the warm bread.