On to the meatloaf: This meatloaf kicks ass. It kind of reminds me of swedish meatballs from IKEA with the white sauce, which is so so good. It is a total comfort food, and while I didn’t grow up eating it ever, it makes me think of my mama.
Meatloaf with Herbed Cream Sauce
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Lifes Ambrosia
Here’s what I used:
For the meatloaf:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 pound lean ground sirloin
- 6 maple flavored breakfast sausage links, casings removed
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Once warmed add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, sausage, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire, horseradish and thyme. Once the mushroom mixture has cooled, mix that in too. Using your hands, mix until well combined. Put into a 9×5 loaf pan. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until top is firm and internal temperature is 160 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile make your sauce.
- Heat the butter in that same sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in beef broth, then half and half. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until sauce thickens. It should coat the back of a spoon. Stir in chives, parsley and thyme. Cook for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.