Chive Egg Noodles in a Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Sauce
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Rachael Ray
Here’s what I used:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp smart balance, divided
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6-8 oz sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fat-free half and half
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chives
- 8 oz extra-broad egg noodles
- 1 cup shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
Here’s what I did:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, salt the water, and drop the egg noodles. Cook to package directions (about 8 minutes), drain, and add back to the hot pot with 1 tbsp smart balance and the chives.
- In a medium saute pan, melt 1 tbsp smart balance and 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the shallots for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the mushrooms and saute for another few minutes until lightly browned. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Sprinkle in the flour, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the half and half and chicken broth. Season with a little grated nutmeg (optional), salt and pepper, and let come to a gentle bubble. Cook for 5 minutes or so until thickened. Add the chicken to the sauce until heated through.
- Divide the buttered chive noodles between two shallow bowls and top each serving with half of the creamy mushroom sauce.