Ricotta, Prosciutto, and Basil Calzone
Here’s what I used:
- 4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto (no need for the super good imported stuff for this)
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella/provolone mix
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- ball of store-bought whole wheat pizza dough
- salt, pepper
- whole wheat flour for dusting
- 1 egg
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 450. If you have a pizza stone, put that in the oven to preheat it as well.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough in a rectangular shape.
- In a large bowl, mix the cheeses and the prosciutto, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture down the center of the dough like this:
- Tuck in the ends and fold over each side.
- In a small bowl, beat an egg and brush it over the calzone. Cut a few slits to release steam while it bakes.
- Place on pre-heated pizza stone and bake for 18-20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before diving in.