This is my new favorite way to prepare green beans. I get a little overly excited about green beans sometimes, but they’re nearly my favorite vegetable since they’re so easy to make and seemingly so healthy. I say seemingly because while we were shopping this weekend, B asked me what the nutritional benefits of green beans were (perhaps to justify the huge 2-pound package I bought of them), and I actually had no idea. I of course came home and did some research. Turns out green beans are super good for you, and not just an easy veg dish. 🙂 Love when that happens.
Gremolata Green Beans
Here’s what I used:
- 1 pound of green beans, stem-end trimmed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- 2 large garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
Here’s what I did:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt the water and add the green beans. Cook them for 4-5 minutes until tender-crisp.
- While the green beans are cooking, prepare the sauce. In a medium bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. To the melted butter, zest in half of a lemon’s worth of zest, grate in the garlic, and add in the parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drain the beans and toss around in the sauce to coat.