This meal was inspired by an awesome looking sandwich that I bookmarked a while ago. In an effort to cut the carbs a bit, I omitted the bread and made a little chicken bake instead. I was afraid that the rabe would make the chicken soggy, but it didn’t at all. This was delicious.
Chicken Cutlets with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Food Blogga
Here’s what I used:
For the chicken:
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally (about 6-7 ounces each)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- juice from 1/4-1/2 lemon
- salt, pepper
For the rabe:
- 1 bunch chopped broccoli rabe, stems removed,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt, pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- First, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, and add the broccoli rabe to the water and cook for 2 minutes. Strain out to a medium bowl that has been filled with water and some ice cubes. Swish the broccoli rabe around in the water to stop the cooking process, and drain. Reserve.
- Lay a piece of saran wrap on top of the chicken cutlets and pound out with a meat mallet until about 1/2 inch thick. Set up your breading station for the chicken. From left to right, arrange 3 shallow dishes with flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumb. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- In a large saute pan, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes. Dredge each chicken cutlet in flour, then dip in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Fry 2 pieces of chicken at a time until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove to a waiting paper plate that is lined with paper towels and move on to the next batch.
- Meanwhile, in another large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Grate in the garlic and add the red pepper flakes; saute for a minute or two until fragrant. Add the broccoli rabe and saute for 5 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the cooked chicken in a baking dish and squeeze with a little lemon.
- Using tongs, grab some rabe, squeeze as much liquid out as you can with the tongs, and top each piece of chicken.
- Top with the slices of provolone…
- And bake for 5 minutes or so until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.