We’re in the middle of a snowstorm here in Boston and this is some perfect comfort food for such an event. While this recipe uses some shortcuts (which I’m happy to use), it is still a super wholesome and delicious chicken soup. This base soup would be great with noodles instead of the dumplings too, if you want to mix it up.
Chicken and Dumplings
Serves 6 / 7 ww pts
Here’s what I used:
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into a 1/2″ dice
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- shredded white and dark meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans of 98% FF cream of chicken soup
- salt, pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup fat-free half and half
Here’s what I did:
- In a large dutch oven, heat up the olive oil over medium-high heat. Ad the celery, carrots, onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 10 minutes until tender, stirring every so often.
- Sprinkle in the poultry seasoning, chopped thyme and add the sweet potatoes, condensed soup, and water. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, make the dumpling dough. Add the bisquick, buttermilk, and half and half to a medium-sized bowl and stir to make a soft dough. After the soup has simmered for 30 minutes, add the shredded chicken, then drop the dough by the tablespoon into the simmering soup. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.