For some reason, fish and pasta together always freaked me out a little. Until now. This is so good! We try to eat fish at least once a week, and everyone knows that fish must be fresh in order for it to be good. It’s best to cook fish the same day you buy it, but we squeak in a few extra hours and have been having fish every Monday after our Sunday shopping trip. This dish is so light and healthy, a great Fishy Monday recipe.
Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Lemon, Basil, and Salmon
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Giada De Laurentiis
Here’s what I used:
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 4 (4-oz) pieces salmon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 tbsp drained capers
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
Here’s what I did:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan.
- When the pasta is tender, drain it and return to the hot pot. Add the garlic, 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss to combine.
- Add the basil, capers, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the spaghetti mixture and toss to combine.
- To serve, line each bowl with 1/2 cup of spinach. Top with 1/4 of the pasta and top with a piece of salmon. Serve immediately.