This was served up in our “Breakfast for Dinner Fridays” series, which I have to say, I love and look forward to. Hooray for eggs and yummy, low-key food on the best day of the week.
Green Huevos Rancheros
Just the Tip / Inspired by Rachael Ray
Here’s what I used:
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15-oz) can of black beans, rinsed (watch for sodium levels on black beans — they vary to a HUGE degree! I like goya reduced-sodium black beans.)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 organic eggs
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa (salsa verde or green salsa)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar
- 2 burrito-size flour tortillas
- greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, chives, and hot sauce for garnishes
Here’s what I did:
- Heat a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Add a couple teaspoons of olive oil and the onion. Cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans, chili powder, and cumin and cook until well heated through. Turn heat down to low and keep warm.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium low heat. When hot, drizzle pan with olive oil and add eggs. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and cook gently on first side for a couple of minutes until the whites firm up.
- While that happens, heat up the salsa in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- When ready, flip the eggs and immediately spoon some salsa and a little shredded cheese (about two tablespoons of each) on each egg. Cover the pan loosely with tin foil to melt the cheese.
- While that happens, blister the tortillas over an open flame of your gas burner (or warm in the micro if you don’t have a gas stove). Be careful to not light them on fire like I did.
- To assemble, place a tortilla on a plate. Top each tortilla with half of the warm black beans, top the beans with 2 of the fried eggs. Sprinkle with a little cilantro, chives (or red onion) and greek yogurt.