I love Costco. Many of my friends blatantly JUDGE me for hoarding and buying everything in bulk, but I don’t care. I like knowing I’ll have toilet paper through the apocalypse, and I always find fun treats there, like these yummy cashew clusters we picked up yesterday. Already addicted. Anyway, this recipe is neither here nor there, but I won a little war when we bought this flank steak at $4/pound at Costco, and had some in the freezer from Stop & Shop for $8/pound. Bam.
On to the steak. This recipe was found in Ellie Krieger’s new cookbook, So Easy, which I received as a Christmas gift. The steak was delicious, and while I was a little apprehensive that the blue cheese sauce would overwhelm the flavor of the meat (I tend to be a steak purist), I ended up really liking it together with the bed of radicchio. We served it with faux-fried onion rings from Now Eat This, which unfortunately, you won’t see posted here yet because I don’t think I seasoned them enough and they were a little bland.
Marinated Flank Steak with Blue Cheese Dressing
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Ellie Krieger
Here’s what I used:
- 1 1/2 pounds lean flank steak
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 2 tbsp half and half (or milk)
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 12 radicchio leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Here’s what I did:
- Place the steak pieces between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or parchment and pound to 1/2-inch thickness.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar and garlic. Put the steak into a sealable plastic bag with the marinade and refrigerate for an hour. Then let sit for another 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, mash the blue cheese, sour cream, and half and half with a fork in a small bowl until creamy. Stir in the worcestershire and set aside.
- Preheat a large grill pan over medium-high heat (cast-iron will take a good 5 minutes to heat up).
- Remove the meat from the marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper. Cook the meat in the grill pan for 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Remove the steak to a cutting board, loosely tent with foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange 3 radicchio leaves on each plate. Once the steak has rested, thinly slice against the grain and top each plate with 1/4 of the steak. Drizzle with blue cheese sauce and sprinkle with parsley.