Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Spaghetti
What I used:
- 4 ounces of whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp of fresh minced thyme
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups half and half (or milk)
- 1 heaping tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt, pepper, freshly grated nutmeg
What I did:
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the shallots, garlic, and thyme and saute for a minute or so.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until browned, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the wine. Let the wine evaporate for a minute or two then sprinkle with flour. Stir the flour around and let it cook out a little, for a minute or two then add the half and half. Bring the mixture up to a simmer, wilt in the spinach, then grate in the nutmeg. Allow to thicken over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to package directions. Once cooked to al dente, add the pasta to the sauce and cook for another minute or two in the sauce. Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese and eat it!