I feel like I say this after every chili recipe, but I mean it this time: This is my new favorite go-to chili. This chili has some unusual ingredients for me (salsa…canned green chiles…taco seasoning), but I also love all the veg and it has TONS of flavor without being really spicy at all. Also, I made corn muffins out of jiffy cornbread mix with a half cup of sour cream mixed in. Best corn muffins EVER!
Mild Turkey Chili
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Allrecipes
Here’s what I used:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/3 pound ground turkey
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 14.5-oz can beef or chicken broth
- 7 oz of salsa
- 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 4 oz can of green chiles
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper (any color works), chopped
- 1 19-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 zucchinis, halved lengthwise and sliced
- salt, pepper
- scallion, grated cheddar, sour cream or greek yogurt for garnish
Here’s what I did:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, bell peppers, and garlic for about 5 minutes until slightly tender. Remove to a dish for later. Then add the zucchini, and cook stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the zucchini to the same dish.
- Add another tbsp of oil and add the turkey into the pot, stirring with a wooden spoon to break apart as much as possible. Season with taco seasoning mix, coriander, oregano, chili flakes, and tomato paste, and mix until meat is evenly coated with seasonings. Continue cooking, reducing heat if necessary, until turkey is well browned.
- Pour in beef broth, and simmer to reduce liquid slightly, about 5 minutes. Add salsa, kidneay beans, tomatoes, and green chilies, and continue cooking at a moderate simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust the thickness at any time you feel necessary by adding water.
- Add the cooked veg into the chili and cook for an additional 15 mintues. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chili into serving bowls. Top with sour cream, green onion, and cheddar cheese, and serve.