I am having a love affair with pesto. Strangely, up until recently, I never cared much for it. I think it was the thyme pesto that really made me turn a corner into full on love.
This chicken is fabulous. Low carb (except for the crusty bread we used to sop up all of the pesto-y juices, of course), cheesy, tender, juicy. Seriously, so good — and couldn’t be easier.
Easy Baked Pesto Chicken
Serves 4 / Inspired by Kalyn’s Kitchen
Here’s what I used:
- 1 pound of chicken breasts
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pesto (I love Trader Joe’s basil pesto)
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
Here’s what I did:
Preheat oven to 375. Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken pieces, then cut each chicken breast lengthwise into 2 or 3 strips.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray, then spread 1/4 cup basil pesto over the bottom of the dish. Lay chicken strips over the pesto, then spread 1/4 cup more basil pesto over the chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes, just until chicken is barely firm and cooked through.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Put dish back into the oven, uncovered, and cook 5 minutes more until cheese is melted. (If your broiler is separate from the oven, start preheating it when you take the chicken out.) After the cheese has a chance to melt in the oven, broil it for another few minutes until the cheese is lightly browned.