I have been craving a naughty potato dish for a while now. And despite the fact that this was based on a cooking light recipe AND I had the nerve to add additional veggies in AND omitted the bacon, this still definitely satisfied my naughty craving. Not too shabby.
Potato and Broccoli Rabe Gratin
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Cooking Light
Here’s what I used:
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (I used my beloved mandoline for this, but a sharp knife and a steady hand would do)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half (or milk)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Italian cheese blend (I used one from TJ’s that had asiago, fontina, provolone, and mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, stems trimmed and discarded
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt, freshly ground black pepper
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- First, get the broccoli rabe ready. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Coursely chop the rabe and, once boiling, cook the rabe for 2 minutes, in salted water. Drain and dry out the pot. Heat up the olive oil in the same pot and cook the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes over medium heat for a minute or two until fragrant. Add the broccoli rabe back in and saute for 5 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper, remove from the pot and reserve for later.
- Clean out the same pot, and add the sliced potatoes to it. Immediately cover the potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 5 minutes until the potatoes are nearly tender. Drain and sprinkle potatoes with 1/4 tsp and set aside.
- Bring the same pot back over medium heat and melt the butter. Add shallots and cook for 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Lightly sprinkle the flour over the shallots. Whisk in the half and half until well blended. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes (or until thick), whisking frequently. Stir in the broccoli rabe, cheese blend, chives, salt, and pepper and remove from heat.
- Arrange half of the potato slices in an medium sized baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half of cheese sauce over potato slices. Top with remaining potato slices and cheese sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.