I suck at them.
I mean, no carbs, sugar, or alcohol for two whole weeks???
You know what I say to that?
Pasta with vodka cream sauce. That’s what I say.
What? At least I used whole wheat pasta.
Penne alla Vodka with Shrimp
Serves 4-8, depending on rebellion level
Inspired by RayRay
Here’s what I used:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp smart balance (or butter)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 or 2 tbsp chopped parsley (basil would have been ideal)
- 20 medium sized shrimp, deveined and tail removed
Here’s what I did:
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots, and gently saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vodka to the pan, then bring the heat up and reduce the vodka by half — about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to package directions. While pasta cooks, saute the shrimp (or any protein choice) in a little olive oil, seasoned with s&p.
- When the pasta is just about ready, stir the cream into the sauce. When the sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta and toss it with sauce. Serve with chopped herbs, shrimp, and a little grated cheese.