Butter-Basted Pan-Seared New York Strip
Recipe by Just the Tip / Inspired by Cooking Light
Here’s what I used:
- 2 12-oz new york strip steaks, brought to room temperate for at least 30 minutes
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme, plus 3-4 sprigs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt, pepper
Here’s what I did:
- Heat a cast-iron pan over high heat until almost smoking. Brush each side of steak with the olive oil, then season each side with salt, pepper, and minced thyme. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until browned and easily releases from the pan.
- Add the butter, garlic, and thyme sprigs to the pan. Tip the pan so that the butter pools to one end and continue to cook for another 1 1/2 minutes, basting continuously with butter.
- Remove and let rest on a plate covered in foil for 10 minutes. Spoon over the remaining butter sauce and serve.