Once in a great while, I see a recipe that makes me want to jump up, whip out my rolling pin, and get baking. This process usually ends in tears, but once in a while it works out lovely. These muffins are SUPER healthy (once you take a peek at the ingredients you’ll see what I mean) and delicious. Smear them with a little yogurt butter and dig in!
Protein Packed Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Just the Tip / Inspired by Meals & Moves
Here’s what I used:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (I use Isopure low-carb powder)
- 1/2 cup almond meal (I get this at TJ’s, but you can make your own, too)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 medium overripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- chopped pecans (optional)
- slivered almonds (optional)
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Combine the flour, protein powder, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bananas, yogurt, egg, agave, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the almond milk until there the batter comes together.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin tin that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Top with nuts if you like and bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (mine were done in 15).
- Let cool for about 15 minutes in the tin, then for another few on a wire rack.
- Spread with some yogurt butter (Brummel & Brown) and enjoy!