I’ve made this at least a dozen times~ it’s so good and really unique. The radicchio adds an awesome bitterness (I looooove bitter flavors…hello, my love for broccoli rabe). Also, do not skip the anchovies. I promise, you won’t even know they’re there but it adds so much to the flavor.
Mac and Cheese with Shrimp and Radicchio
serves 4-6 / adapted from Rachael Ray
What I used:
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta shells
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half (or milk)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 3-4 anchovy fillets
- 1 pound raw shrimp, cleaned and tails removed
- 2 small heads of radicchio, shredded
- 1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
Here’s what I did:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil & preheat the broiler.
- Salt the pasta water and add the shells. Cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, high-sided saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and anchovy paste and cook for 1-2 minute, stirring frequently. Add the shrimp and radicchio, increase the heat and cook, stirring, until the shrimp is pink and the radicchio is tender, 3-4 minutes. Empty the shrimp mixture to a plate or a bowl.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in the same saute pan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the half & half and chicken broth. Season with salt, pepper, and a few grates of freshly grated nutmeg. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir the parmesan cheese into the sauce. Add the pasta and the shrimp mixture and toss together. Pour into a baking dish, sprinkle with the asiago cheese, and broil until melted (3-4 minutes).