The first couple of times that I made this pizza, I burned the crap out if it, yet, mind you, still ate it and loved the flavors. I figured that I’d wait to share the recipe for a time that I didn’t burn the crap out of it, since I knew I’d be making this over and over again. Well, friend, behold this awesome indian pizza. It is such a great combination of flavors, and super easy to throw together (especially if using store-bought dough). Since I am always trying to use up my spices so I can keep a fresh stash, I made a homemade curry powder blend, but feel free to use your favorite store blend.
Just the Tip / Inspired by RR
Here’s what I used:
- 1 pound store-bought whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature (who knew that it actually says on the package to bring the dough to room temp??? I think this is why I have had some issues with store-bought dough before…need to read directions more!)
- 1 cup (roughly packed) cilantro leaves
- 1 large jalapeno, seeds discarded, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 pound ground dark-meat turkey
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/4″ thick half-moons
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
Here’s what I did:
- Invert a 13×8 baking sheet onto the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 500°. Spray a second baking sheet with cooking spray and stretch the pizza dough to fit the pan.
- In a food processor, pulse together the cilantro and jalapeno. Slowly drizzle in 2 tbsp of olive oil for about 30 seconds until a paste forms. Season with salt and spread on the dough. Sprinkle the mozza over top.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, so that the spices get toasty.
- Add the turkey, season with salt and black pepper and cook, breaking up the meat, until just barely cooked and no longer pink (about 3 minutes). Stir in the zucchini and onion and saute together for a minute or so. Season again with a little salt and pepper.
- Top the pizza with the meat mixture and place the baking sheet on top of the preheated baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.