My love for blue corn products began years ago with Trader Joe’s Blue Jalapeno Cornbread Mix (now discontinued, sigh). So, when I saw these blue beauties in the store yesterday, I couldn’t wait to use them. This recipe would of course work with regular corn tortillas, but would not be nearly as pretty. 🙂
Blue Breakfast Tacos
Just the Tip
Here’s what I used:
- 2 blue corn tortillas
- 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites
- splash of water
- 1/2 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3-4 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1-2 tbsp pepper jack cheese, grated
- cilantro and 0% greek yogurt for garnishing
Here’s what I did:
- Spray a small non-stick saute pan with cooking spray. Saute the shallot, tomatoes, and jalapeno together for a few minutes over medium-high heat. Season with a little salt.
- Whisk together the eggs with a splash of water. Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour the eggs in the saute pan. Season with salt and pepper, and constantly stir until the eggs are gently cooked, a few minutes.
- Sprinkle on the grated cheese, cover the pan with aluminum foil, and turn off the heat. Wrap the tortillas loosely in a paper towel and microwave for 20 seconds. Serve the eggs on top of the tortillas, and top with a dollop of greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cilantro.