A success for the “kid friendly” file! Whenever I cook for just the two of us, I ask Brian afterward if he thinks the kids would like it. I typically get a gentle “Oh, I don’t know…” or “notsomuch with x ingredient”, etc. This recipe is a bonus because it’s mostly assembly, which is perfect for kids (or boyfriends) to help out with. So, tonight, the official Kid Friendly category on this blog is born, which hopefully will contain more than this recipe!
Oh, and I should mention how YUMMY this is. SO good. And SUPER easy. Easily made vegetarian by subtracting the beef and using with more refried beans, too, which is a double bonus.
Mexican Tortilla Pizza
Just the Tip / Inspired by For the Love of Cooking
Here’s what I used:
For the ground beef mixture:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb of lean, grass fed/organic ground beef
- 1 small/medium red onion, diced
- 1 tsp coriander*
- 1 tsp paprika*
- 1 tsp chili powder*
- 1 tsp ground cumin*
- 1 tsp garlic powder*
- 1 tsp oregano*
- 1 tsp onion powder*
- Dash of red pepper flakes*
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 4-oz can of diced green chiles
*NOTE: If you don’t have the ridiculous spice collection that I do, this mixture could easily be substituted by a few tbsp (or one packet) of taco seasoning.
For the pizza assembly:
- whole wheat tortillas (I like Joseph’s Reduced Carb/Flax, Oat Bran, & Whole Wheat Tortillas)
- Refried beans (I used refried black beans from Trader Joe’s)
- Reduced fat shredded mexican cheese blend
- Diced tomato
- Sliced scallions
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 0% plain greek yogurt
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, and once it’s staring to brown, add in the onion and spices, and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through, 4-5 minutes longer. Add in the can of green chiles and set aside.
- Then top with another tortilla, then bake for 10 minutes. Spoon a bit of salsa on top and then some cheese.
- Bake for another 7 minutes or so until the cheese is melted. Top with your garnishes (tomatoes, green onions, fresh cilantro, greek yogurt, etc.)