Shrimp with Feta and Tomatoes
Just the Tip | Serves 4-6
Here’s what I used:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 6 medium plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp Metaxa or other brandy
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- salt, pepper
Here’s what I did:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut and “X” into one end of each tomato and drop into the boiling water. Boil until the skins begin to split, 3-4 minutes. Remove the tomatoes to a bowl of ice water to cool. Peel the tomatoes and roughly chop.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until they soften (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the wine, brandy, tomato paste, 1 tbsp of dill, and season with black pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until the tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring from time to time, until they begin to turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Crumble the feta in large chunks over the top and continue stirring until the cheese has melted and the shrimp are firm and pink, about 2-3 more minutes. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp. Sprinkle the remaining 1tbsp dill over the top and serve.