Before we left for the Cape last week, I had some eggplant and zucchini from our CSA to use up in a hurry. Perfect time for fritters! These have the consistency of crab cakes — yummy. Would be great with a marinara or an aioli sauce, too.
Eggplant and Zucchini Fritters
Just the Tip / Inspired by Tenafly Farmer’s Market
Here’s what I used:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped red or white onions
- 2 tbsp grated cheese (I used gruyere)
- 2 cups coarsely shredded veg (I used eggplant and zucchini), wrung of excess liquid
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup canola oil, for frying
Here’s what I did:
- Thoroughly mix flour, eggs, onions and cheese with grated eggplant and squash. Add salt and baking powder and mix again.
- Heat about an inch of canola oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. To test the oil, dip the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil. If little bubbles rapidly appear around the base of the spoon, the oil is ready.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, carefully drop batter into oil. Using a spatula, flatten the fritter so that it is no more than ¾ inch thick. Fry on each side until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from oil and put on paper towels to drain excess oil. The middle should be thoroughly cooked.
- Serve warm and enjoy!