I love fall soups and this was a great one. This is the first time I had seen a soup with pears as a base, but I knew I could trust any recipe from Five and Spice, one of my favorite blogs. Whatever you do, don’t skip the blue cheese and pancetta garnishes. YUM.
Savory Pear Soup with Pancetta and Blue Cheese
Just the Tip / Inspired by Five and Spice
Here’s what I used:
- 5 ounces pancetta (or bacon), cut into small pieces (I bought pre-cut pancetta for ease)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into small 1/2″ cubes
- 1 carrot, cut into small 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 5 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- crumbled blue cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what I did:
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, cook the pancetta until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and put on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Pour off all but one tbsp of the fat in the pot, and add in the butter. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic, potato, and carrot, and cover the pan. Raise the heat to medium and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add in the maple syrup, pear, 1 1/2 tsp salt, thyme, sage and nutmeg. Stir together and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until the potatoes and pears are soft.
- Blend in batches until smooth (I used an immersion blender). Swirl in the creme fraiche to the blended soup mixture, taste it and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with the pancetta bits and blue cheese for sprinkling on top.